Monday, January 5, 2015

But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content - 1 Timothy 6:8


I'm a content person. So don't get me wrong, there are things in life I want, but I am content. Being content is better than being disgruntled, but at the same time contentment can be dangerous to our future and our happiness. At least I feel like it can be. Sometimes contentment can make us complacent. Contentment can suck our drive to do more and better ourselves. 

 So is being content a bad thing? Absolutely not, any sane person will tell you so. It keeps us from disgruntlement and perhaps bitterness. Its keeps us from being negative. But it should not be confused with happiness. Happiness is part of the word happening. It is possible to be content, and even joyful, when a lot of the things life is throwing at you aren’t what you’d like or how you'd you like. I feel like contentment is being ok with the things life is throwing at you. Like me, I'm content. I have a wonderful job that pays me decently, not the job I want to have forever, but one that is stable and provides good life experience. 




So what is the dangerous side of contentment? It can lead to being complacent. It can suck your drive to better yourself, and potentially suck the joy out of your life. Sometimes you can be so content to just let life pass you by that you miss out on the great things life offers. These great thing are usually unique to every individual. But if you're not careful, eventually this kind of contentment could lead to comfortability . Perhaps that is where it actually gets dangerous. People become comfortable with their place in life, perhaps they even become comfortable with letting go of their dreams and goals. They become comfortable with their weight, or even comfortable with their low end job. People become comfortable with staying exactly where they are. 

 And maybe its just me, but I find that I get the most joy from life when I push myself, when I progress, grow, learn, do, and just live. That is hard to do when you're so content, that you're comfortable.

-Your friendly couch potato, Jacob.



photo taken from:

Coyote Free Art & Photography's Photos



1 comment: